Tuesday, October 27, 2009

A Date Night with an Unexpected Ending

This past Friday night Keith was in town so we decided to venture out for dinner and a possible movie. We invited our good friends Tara & Cope along and headed to the club for the monthly seafood buffet. I am new to crab legs so my dinner guests were entertained just to watch how clumsy I was w/ my utensils I'm sure. We enjoyed a great meal and then as we left we contemplated a movie, but not so fast. A call from my sister notified me that my Mom was at the hospital w/ severe stomach pains. I was luckily two minutes from there and rushed over to demand that I get back into the ER to see her. It turns out it was a kidney infection and stones, certainly not a fun night for my Mom. As we waited on the results of the catscan we just sat and chatted w/ my parents...something that is not done often as there is usually the distraction of the kids running around or business to talk about. As we left the hospital that night I had an awakening, once again, of just how fragile life is and how quickly things could be turned upside down. Seeing my Mom in that hospital bed I realized that if something were to happen to my life long best friend I would be lost in this life. I have definitely not been the picture perfect daughter but my Mom has always been constant in her love for me, her life advice and all with a grace and wisdom that I have come to respect and admire.

No comments: