Saturday, September 5, 2009

The Generosity of a Stranger

It was never unusual for me growing up to have random people walk up and thank my parents. When I was little I never knew what this was about but as I grew older I gradually caught on. My Dad would randomly pay the bills of other diners in a restaurant or give the coat off his back to someone who looked like they needed it or give money to a family who would have gone w/out giving their children toys that Christmas. For that I will always be thankful... to have the memories of people so stunned & thankful by the generosity of what probably seemed like a saint from above, but was actually just my Dad, who knew what hard times were like and hated to see others in need.
The point of this story is that our dinner last night was paid for by a complete stranger. No explanation other than the waitress told us that he said we had a beautiful family. I don't think we look like a family in need, but he must have noticed us as Kendall almost choked on her pizza and we caught the attention of half the restaurant!!! Whatever the reason it gave me a renewed outlook at the kindness that can lie in people's hearts. A single act of kindness from someone unknown to us, not unnoticed, will certainly be passed on to another.

1 comment:

kelly young said...

loooove it! catchin up on all your posts as I just started following your blog a couple days ago and ran across this one. Thanks for sharing!