Monday, December 21, 2009

Ultimate Bad Mommy Moment

I debated whether to even post this, but seeing as I did it in the most public spot for all of cartersville mommywood to know it, I decided to share with everyone.
I locked my baby girl in the car, in the pouring rain, car not running, at the courthouse across the street from Kaden's school. I parked there b/c there was no parking at his school as it was the day of his Christmas program and to top it off I was the mom in charge of the Christmas party for his class. I had dropped Kaden off in the carpool lane under the overhang and unloaded as much as I could for the class party. Then it was off to park w/ Kendall. I put my keys in her diaper bag and her bag near her car seat so that I could juggle it all w/ the umbrella. To my disbelief as soon as I shut the door I realized I hit the automatic lock button as I was getting out. Keith had taken another car and was walking up to me as soon as I realized she was locked in! I started panicking and crying immediately. Keith found a shovel in a nearby truck bed and started to try and break open the window lift gate in the rear of the car....it never opened but now it won't close and there are dents and scratches to boot...all of which I obviously did not care about at the time, but are now going to cost us a pretty penny to fix. Luckily someone in the same parking lot had broken down and had already called a wrecker service. By the time they showed up 15 minutes later Kendall was crying and waving at me from her car seat. It took them what seemed like an eternity to get her out and after several attempts to unlock the doors failed I found myself getting seriously mad at the man trying to get my baby out of the car I had locked her in....you got to place blame somewhere right! To top it off Kaden's school performance was about to start so I didn't want to be a horrible mom to both my kids so I ran inside to watch Kaden's performance. Luckily it didn't start right on time and Keith walked in with Kendall right before it began only for the whole fellowship hall to turn and watch me grab my baby and burst into tears. Luckily I had the support of other fellow mommies telling me similar stories to make me not feel so bad. And Kaden's teacher and other moms were able to get the room decorated for the party so it all turned out ok in the end.
When we got home Kaden asked me why I had been crying at the beginning of his performance...he said "Mommy was I not singing good and that is why you were crying?"....put a dagger in my heart why don't you! To which I replied "Of course not baby, you did wonderful. Mommy was crying b/c I locked baby Kendall in the car and couldn't get her out!"...and he then said, "Oh Mommy, why would you do such a horrible thing!!" I know, I know!

3 comments:

Tara said...

Hey, don't beat yourself up. We all have those moments and I think it is what we do the majority of the time that is the real judge.

Kelly Young said...

Oh my gosh Katie! That is my BIGGEST nightmare! I'm so glad everything worked out ok! We've ALL had those moments! :)

katie smith said...

Thank you girls...just glad it wasn't in the heat of the summer. I will be so paranoid about this from now on!